Let me teach you how to prepare and cook a delicious Italian/Sicilian soup.
You Will Need:
1 lb of mild Italian Sausage
9 cups of chicken broth
1 large diced potato
1 bunch of sliced kale
A pinch of crushed pepper flakes
1/2 a pint of of cream (heavy, whipping, or light)
Salt and pepper to taste
2.While you wait for the browning to occur, wash well your kale and your large potato. Make sure you really get that kale clean, all those lovely leaves hold dirt very well! (If your meat is still a little pale at this point, turn it up a tad past medium to help it brown a bit faster)
3. Once clean, dice up your raw potato and set aside. Take your kale and cut away the leaves from the main stem. Then slice up 1/2 inch strips of kale. Then set aside. (I really just sliced it up into nice mouth sized pieces)
4. Once mostly browned, add your pinch of pepper flakes.
Then cook until your sausage is very brown and sticking a bit to the bottom of the pot.
5. Deglaze your pot with the chicken broth. Be careful to slowly pour in your broth, your pot is hot!
Once all your broth is added, make sure you scrape the bottom of the pot to get all that lovely brown crispy bits off the bottom.
6. Bring broth to a boil and add potatoes. Cook for around 7 to 10 minutes then add the kale. Boil over medium to medium high heat for 25 to 30 minutes more. The kale should be tender and have the texture more towards spinach and less like cabbage. (because let’s face it, kale is the love child of spinach and cabbage that everyone ignored the potential of until one day bam! Kale was cool.)
7. Once cooked, remove soup from heat and let cool a minute or two while you get your cream out if the fridge. Pour in cream to finish and stir gently, as to not break up the potato and kale over much. Salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy your Zuppa Tuscano! (Serves about 6 respectably, 4 if you like seconds)