Moldy, Oldy Bottles?!

  (Original Image: gettyimages.com)

I am very blessed. I have a beautiful 11 week old son, who only wakes up once a night around 2 to 4 AM and goes to sleep by 10 PM. He likes to laugh, and wiggle and adores Dubstep (much to my horror). His wardrobe is extensive, thanks to his Aunts and Uncles and extended family.

This is all true and wonderful, but I am still exhausted by the end of the day, which to me, 4PM feels like bedtime somedays! I have discovered by being tired and such, I leave things around our living room. One big thing- I leave out and forget about his baby bottles. Man do these things smell awful if they are not rinsed promptly after use (or filled with soapy water if you’re feeling generous)!

I wish I could say I was the perfect mom:

20140609-211607-76567547.jpg

But I most certainly am not. So I lose bottles under the couch quite often. Once I find them with kitty assistance, I plop them in the sink and think, “the dishwasher’s got this.”

Unfortunately, that’s not always true. You see plastic is porous and over time, our perfect little bottles are washed with rough brushes and bristles wearing tiny microscopic divots into the plastic. Things get trapped in these divots and grow. Sometimes the dishwasher hits the bottle perfectly and kills it, sometimes not.

There are ways to prevent and or kill this mold. If any if these ways seem difficult or make you uneasy, many people have suggested chucking out (tossing out, throwing away) your bottles in the bin. For me personally, that is too expensive of an option (unless you left a bottle in your car for weeks in the middle of summer… Then you should just toss it, to be safe).

Bleach that Sucker!

You could bleach your bottles. Some moms I have spoken with, or read comments from (BabyBump or Kidfolio forums), say this is a sure fire way to kill any mold. (Use non scented bleach please!)

The consensus is one cap of non scented bleach per sink full of water. Most people add the capful to a sink full of soapy warm or hot water. You can let the bottles and parts soak in this solution for 10 minutes before you start cleaning. After 10, get your big and tiny brushes and attack with scrubbing power, each bottle should be washed thoroughly and all of it’s parts too. Once scrubbed, they should be rinsed thoroughly until all smell/trace of bleach is gone. Then place out to air dry.

This method can last a month or two of mold free goodness, depending on bottle use. Some mommas bleach once a week, twice a month, or even once a month. Some mommas (very few) even said they bleached once and never had to bleach again.

Personally, I have found this to be effective but, being the worry wort I am, I wash with bleach and do the soak followed by a rinse and then a hot wash in the dishwasher. That is totally overkill. I do like being thorough. That’s just me though.

Boil that Bottle!

The most common way to prevent mold and evil germs, dating back to the invention of bottles and beyond, is to boil your bottles. Most bottles recommend you boil your bottles before use. However, many people continue to boil their bottles twice a week from then on, for the life of the bottle.

You would take cold water and put your bottles in and bring it to a boil (cold to hot because it kills any germs from your water tap). Make sure the water covers the bottle and parts completely and that there is some extra water, for evaporation purposes. Boil those bottles for the time your original instructions say. I know Doctor Brown’s Bottles say 10 minutes. Once sterilized, carefully as to not burn yourself, put your bottles out to air dry.

Like I said, many mommas suggest you boil twice a week. Obviously this method uses less chemicals and is overall the least expensive method.

Hurray you have killed it! But wait! It’s not over!

So now you know the two ways I have found to prevent/ kill mold in a bottle. These two methods will come to complete uselessness if you forget to do one thing:

20140609-220748-79668552.jpg

Dry your bottles completely! So many people do the above steps and leave moisture in their bottles! Then the bottles are closed up and put in a dark cabinet. The mold will return my friend, so you must be wary!

I have noticed once or twice I have put away a bottle or two and found moisture later. Not good!

If you hate the time it takes to wait for the bottle to air dry, Munchkin makes a bottle drying wand that lasts for at least two months of drying, again depending on use. I love my wand and it works well:

20140609-221646-80206680.jpg

Buh Bye! So long you nasty mold!

I hope you never have to deal with mold again, and that this post helped you wipe out any you had! If you discover that you accidentally fed your child from a bottle with a tiny bit of mold in it, don’t panic. Call your pediatrician and ask them what can be done. Chances are, you are fine and your little one is too but, it never hurts to check. My grandmother says the mold will “boost his immune system.” I’d rather not, if it’s all the same to you, boost his immune system in that way!

If you know of a better way to kill mold in bottles, please share with us and comment how below!

Thanks for reading! I do enjoy sharing tips I find useful!

Advertisements

4 Comments

  1. Katie

    Hey There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. That is a
    very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info.
    Thanks for the post. I will certainly comeback.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Angie

    hey there! thanks for this, we exactly have the same thing here… glad I’m not alone, the bottles seem to always find a way to hide from me and then they would smell so bad. I recently found a product called Nimble Milk Buster and got it off Amazon. It claims to remove smelly milk residues so I gave it a try and it worked like magic! My baby’s bottles smelt of nothing, just smelt clean, almost like water. Hope this helps!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s